1. WHAT IS THE AVERAGE PRICE FOR A STEER?
The average price per pound last year was $2.90 and the year before $3.10.
2. DO I NEED TRANSPORTATION FORT THE ANIMAL AFTER IF I BUY IT?
No. When you register as a buyer, your processing destination will be chosen. Transportation is included in your sale cost.
3. IF I BUY ANIMAL DO I CHOOSE THE CUTS OF MEAT?
Yes! The butcher will call you and discuss your options! you can choose all your cuts of meat, and amounts. You can even choose to make your own lunch meat, sausage, burgers, beef jerky, etc.
4. WHAT IF I DO NOT HAVE THE ROOM OR THE FUNDS FOR A WHOLE FINISHED STEER?
No problem, consider buying with another family, or multiple families. Each Family will be able to choose cuts specific to their half or quarter of meat. Place one person in charge of bidding at the on-line auction.
5. WHAT ARE THESE ANIMALS FED?
Only the best! These animals are hand fed twice a day with specific rations of barley, corn, molasses and hay.
6. HOW ARE THESE ANIMALS TREATED?
These market steers are more like pets. The 4-H members work with them daily grooming, leading, and becoming best of friends. These are happy healthy steers!
7. WHAT DO I DO WITH A MARKET STEER AFTER I BUY IT?
The common use for a 4-H market steer is to fill your freezer with quality, hand fed beef.
8. IF THE ANIMAL WAS 1250 LBS, ABOUT HOW MANY LBS OF MEAT DOES THAT GET ME?
You will get 40% of the live weight, so for a 1250 lbs calf, you would get about 500 lbs of meat.
9. IS BUTCHERING INCLUDED IN THE SALE PRICE?
No, Butchering costs vary depending on what a person wants done with the animal. For example making beef jerky and sausage cost more a pound than grinding meat into hamburger. If you are asking for standard cuts of meat, average butchering costs are $1 /lb.
Beef (H&M Grande Prairie)
Cut, Wrap & Vac Steaks $0.89/Lb
Kill Only (Includes Hanging) $150.00 Plus Disposal
Beef (Shawn's Custom Meats)
Cut and Wrap $0.78/Lb
10. WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PURCHASING A MARKET STEER THROUGH 4-H?
There are many benefits of purchasing a 4-H market steer! Not only do you receive quality meat, but you also support the 4-H community and hard-working future cattle farmers.
11. DO YOU FIND IT HARD TO SELL YOUR 4-H STEER AFTER CARING FOR AND WORKING WITH IT ALL YEAR?
Yes. These animals are loved and cared for like a pet. We go into this project knowing it is a market animal. That prepares us for the sale.
12. CAN I BUY A HALF OR QUARTER OF N ANIMAL AND NOT GO THROUGH THE AUCTION PROCESS?
No, These animals are all slated for auction. This is still an option for people to split an animal, however this will need to be arranged by the people you will be splitting the animal with. Someone from your group will still need to register for the auction and bid on the animal. Should you be successful in your auction bid and receive the animal it will be shipped to the butcher (Shawn's customs meats, H&M or Other arrangements can be made wit the 4-H member you bought the steer from for delivery).